Error - KDC reply did not match expectations

Luke Scharf lscharf at lukeshouse.homeunix.org
Mon Feb 9 10:50:57 EST 2004

I've been using the Win2K Kerberos server to check passwords on my test
machines. (A RedHat 9 box and a Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 machine).  It works
great on the test machines.

However, when I tried to replicate my RH9/YDL setup on a Fedora Core 1
machine, authentication fails and I see the following message in the logs:
Feb  6 16:39:51 sandbox login[2724]: pam_krb5[2724]: authentication fails for 'joeuser': Authentication failure (KDC reply did not match expectations)
Feb  6 16:39:53 sandbox login[2724]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR joeuser, Authentication failure

Does anyone know what this message really means?  Also, does anyone know
what changed with the kerberos implementation between RH9 and FC1?

Thanks in advance,
-Luke

P.S. The FC1 machine is running pam_krb5-2.0.4-1 RPM and the RH9 machine is
running the pam_krb5-1.60-1 RPM.