rsh seems to be behaving differently on some more current operating systems

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Fri Dec 17 17:19:32 EST 2004

Howdy folks,

$ dsh -e -w athena uptime
athena: dsh: Internal error, aborting: No such file or directory

dsh is from the ClusterIt package, details at
http://www.garbled.net/clusterit.html, but it also occurs with regular
rsh:

$ rsh -x athena uptime
socket: protocol error or closed connection in circuit setup

I tried a couple of FreeBSD mailing lists with this problem, but I've
since run into the same problem with a colleague at work who is using
Mandrake and trying to set up ClusterIt.

Oddly, this doesn't occur when I use an older version of FreeBSD
(4-stable) but does occur with a reasonable recent Mandrake and FreeBSD
5.3/-current. In my case, the version of MIT Kerberos installed is
identical (both from a current version of the FreeBSD ports tree), but
I'm wondering if it's a known problem at the MIT end and if there are
any easy workarounds/patches that could be tried.

I apologize in advance for forwarding an email -- it's a bit tacky in
terms of netiquette, but it was too lengthy to re-word and post in-line
;-)

Thanks muchly for any assistance,

- Tillman

--
"It's hard to find people in society who can administer UNIX and
 professionally carry a weapon."