Solaris using Kerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Dec 8 11:00:05 EST 2004

David A Flores wrote:

> Help anyone,
> We are using a Windows domain controller as a KDC and we are trying to
> authenticate a Solaris 9.0 OS box using Kerberos.  The following is the
> command we use to create the keytab file:
>
> ktpass -princ host/dean19.uthsch.edu at UTHSCU.EDU -mapuser dean19 -pass * -out
> c:\dean19.keytab

You may need to specify -kvno  but see below.  You may also need the +DesOnly.

It could also be a des-cbc-crc vs des-cbc-md5 (W2k will use ctc, W2003 will use md5)

> Once we create the keytab file we send it to the sever via ssh.  Attached
> are the pam.conf file and the krb5.conf that we configured.  One the
> computer called dean19 we ran the ktutil
>
> rkt /etc/krb5/dean.keytab
> wkt /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab
>
> After the rkt and the wkt commands we do a list and it shows a "slot KVNO
> Principal"
>
> We then validate the server's ability to communicate with the MS Kerberos
> Domain Controller by requesting a Ticket Granting Ticket using kinit.
>
> We then use klist to verify that a TGT has been issued.
>
> But when we try to login to the box we get the following error.
>
> Dec  7 16:27:38 dean19 login: [ID 537602 auth.error] PAM-KRB5 (auth):
> krb5_verify_init_creds failed: Key table entry not found
>

> We tried it on 2 solaris machines and we are getting the same error.  Does
> anyone know why this might be happening?

If you have the MIT kvno command try it to see what the AD has for a kvno:

  kvno host/dean19.uthsch.edu at UTHSCU.EDU

Also try the klist -k -t -K /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab (MIT or SEAM)
to see what the keytab has and what enctypes it has.
(Don't send this as it exposes the key.)

Another way to do this at least with the MIT code is to use the
ktutil addent, that will let you add an entry  with the kvno, enctype
and key or key via a password. So you dont transfer the output of
the ktpass. (If you do this with the password, you ned to
add the salt. If you want to try this I will send the instructions.)