JAVASEC - Using Java client with Windows 2003 AD with mixed case PrincipalNames

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Dec 1 17:48:19 EST 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:

> All these issues have been discussed on the ietf-krb-wg list although
> never quite in the same place.
>
> Java is wrong in how it handles preauth; the advice in my preauth
> draft would be a better approach.

I agree it is wrong. What I would like to see is the Java people
admit this and fix it and work in the krb-wg too.

> AD is stretching clarifications significantly in how it handles case
> of principal names.  However it's much more usable than what other
> implementations do.  There was a long and heated discussion between
> Martin Rex and people at Microsoft over this issue.

Some how I miss that point. Hopefully the explaination I put together
will get the Java people to do something about the preauth.

> --Sam

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439