UI for Kerberos accounts administration

Lukas Kubin kubin at opf.slu.cz
Mon Aug 23 05:34:14 EDT 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Lukas> I'm planning to build an web interface for administering
>     Lukas> our Kerberos/OpenAFS/LDAP accounts.  How should I pass
>     Lukas> credentials to the web service? I can use the mod_auth_kerb
>     Lukas> module for Apache. Then some wrapper script will call
>     Lukas> kadmin command. When I want kadmin not to ask for password
>     Lukas> everytime it is called, I'll have to create an
>     Lukas> administrator's keytab stored on the webserver. That way
>     Lukas> appear not to be secure.
>
> Why is this not secure?  It places your web service in the role as a
> privilege delegation service rather than as acting as the user
> directly.

In this design I need to store administrator's password in a keytab file
on webserver. In case someone breaks into the webserver, he/she can
easily misuse the keytab to "administer" our Kerberos accounts. That's
what I consider insecure.

Do the K5 enabled sites administer accounts this way?

How do they create accounts for new users? Using some shell script -
kadmin wrapper? Are there any examples of such scripts?

Thank you.

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin

phone: +420596398275
email: kubin at opf.slu.cz

Information centre
The School of Business Administration in Karvina
Silesian University in Opava
Czech Republic
http://www.opf.slu.cz