Uninstalling Kerberos

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 26 14:22:37 EDT 2004

On Thursday, Apr 22, 2004, at 08:37 US/Eastern, mdj_kerberos wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
>    I want to try installation of kerberos on a linux machine. As I can
> see a lot of documentation is available for installation. But my aim
> is to play with kerberos for some days and then remove it from the
> linux machine. So will you please asssit me in how to go about
> uninstalling kerberos because no where i am finding the concerned
> guide lines.

Shouldn't be too hard.

If you're installing packages provided by your Linux distribution, keep
track of which ones they are, along with any packages you have to
uninstall because of conflicts (e.g., you install the
Kerberos-version-of-foo package and it conflicts with the foo package
so you uninstall that).  That should let you delete the new packages
and reinstall the old ones.

If you're building from sources, install into a place where you don't
have any other software (e.g., configure with --prefix=/usr/krb5) and
delete the entire tree and /etc/krb5.conf when you're done playing with
it.  You may want to tweak inetd.conf a bit to run Kerberos services,
just keep a backup.

The installation of Kerberos from source in some random location, by
itself, shouldn't interfere with any system software.  Linux vendor
distribution packages are naturally more integrated, but by the same
measure, should be easy to uninstall if you just keep track of what
you've installed.

Ken