Server not found in Kerberos database

Yan Lin yl7b at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 16:01:36 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm a Java developer and new to Kerberos.  We have a Java application that needs to be
authenticated against Kerberos Active Directory.  For testing purpose, we have Active Directory
installed on a Win 2k server.  Then, the Kerberos was turned on by a co-worker, who doesn't know
much about Kerberos either.  Without any manual about Active Directory, he did that based on his
best judgement.  Here are the basic setting information:

(01) The Win2k server has FQDN: devtest.mycompany.com.
(02) C:\WINNT\krb5.ini file looks like:
[libdefaults]
  default_realm = DEVTEST.COM

[realms]
  DEVTEST.COM = {
    kdc = <IP address of the Win2k server>
  }
(03) The AD is listening on port 389 (default for LDAP server), and KDC listens on port 88.

When a user logs in with Java code, apparently the user can log in successfully and get ticket
from Kerberos AD.  However, whenever the code tries to instantiate InitialDirContext (an Object in
Java that would capture the environment context), an error would be thrown claiming that "Server
not found in Kerberos database".

I can't find problem in the Java code and suspect the error may be related with our Kerberos
setting.  I wonder what exactly the error message means in Kerberos arena.  How can I verify that
the Kerberos is correctly set?

Also, you may notice that the Kerberos realm (DEVTEST.COM) is not the same as the machine's FQDN
(devtest.mycompany.com).  I wonder if that makes any difference.

Our code-freeze date is coming soon.  Any help would be highly appreciated!

Gloria