setup kerberos client

melissa_benkyo wyl_lyf at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 17:36:33 EDT 2004

Hello all,

its me againnn. :D
I'm having trouble setting up a kerberos client on solaris 8. I'm
running a kdc on a linux machine. and I want to use gss-server on the
linux machine and run gss-client on the solaris machine. is this
possible?

steps that I did:
1) add_principal host/<solaris_machine_name>@<REALM.COM>
2) ktadd -k /etc/krb5.keytab host/<solaris_machine_name>@<REALM.COM>
3) ktadd -k </tmp/host.keytab> host/<solaris_machine_name>@<REALM.COM>
[to the same thing for sample1/<solaris_machine_name>@REALM.COM>
4) ftp the host.keytab and sample1.keytab to the solaris machine
5) gss-server -port 44444 -verbose sample1
output:
GSS-API error acquiring credentials: Miscellaneous failure
GSS-API error acquiring credentials: No principal in keytab matches
desired name
But if I use the sample/<linux_macine>
output:
GSS-API error acquiring credentials: Wrong rpincipal

solaris client side
6) kinit <kerberos user> (OK!)
7) gss-client -port 44444 sample "hello world"

can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

thanks!