Kerberos for printers

Brian Davidson bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Thu Apr 8 13:58:28 EDT 2004

Microsoft seems to support Kerberos for printing via IPP.  IPP is a
layer on top of http, so I would think that the main thing to look for
is kerberos support for http.  Microsoft has a proprietary solution for
http kerberos authentication, and the IETF seems to be close to
establishing a more generalized http authentication standard solution,
http-sasl which also would support kerberos.  Hopefully once http-sasl
is established it will become usable for IPP authentication.

In the "short term", you can set up a CUPS server to use basic
authentication over SSL, and have PAM configured to use "kerberos
authentication" for CUPS.  I put the quotes there because this isn't
true kerberos authentication.  The username and password are being sent
over the wire, and they are handled by a service, which clearly is not
kerberos.  This will get you single-password though.  You can use
nsswitch to lookup group information in LDAP, which could be used as a
source of authorization information.

You would still need some mechanism for ensuring that only the CUPS
server can talk to the printer.  The options available vary from
printer to printer, but likely involve IP based authentication.  Some
printers support IPP directly.  I have no idea if/how those support
authentication.

This is what I'm looking at for our University, but we haven't deployed
this [yet].  I'm hopeful that CUPS will support http-sasl once it's
available, and that Microsoft will too.

Brian Davidson
George Mason University