[windows-hied]: Re: Multiple domain referral patch and Kerberos 1.31

Paul B. Hill pbh at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 24 10:31:12 EDT 2003

Perhaps a more accurate statement would be no one currently employed by MIT
or actively working on the MIT Kerberos code reviewed the patch.

The patch was indeed given to MIT by Microsoft. The patch was examined by
two people at MIT and was modified to work with the then current MIT
Kerberos release. MIT made the decision not to incorporate the patch because
the referral mechanism was not part of the RFC and MIT was/is viewed as the
reference implementation.

The patch was given to UMich because their domain design required its use
(MIT's domain design does not require its use). UMich is the redistribution
point for the patch in my opinion and I think they have periodically updated
it to remain compatible with the MIT distribution.

I believe that UMich and some other sites are using the patch in deployed
production systems.

Paul