Q: Ordering master/slave KDC's in CLIENT machines' krb5.conf

MattW mbw at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 9 13:41:25 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Please help me understand how I should order the
client's list of KDC's it can contact in the krb5.conf file.

I have:

[realms]
         YADDA.WASHINGTON.EDU = {

                 kdc = kdc.yadda.washington.edu
                 kdc = kdc1.yadda.washington.edu
                 kdc = kdc2.yadda.washington.edu
                 admin_server = kdc1.yadda.washington.edu
                 default_domain = yadda.washington.edu
                 krb524_server = kdc1.yadda.washington.edu
         }

NOTE: kdc.yadda.washington.edu points to the master, which is
kdc1.yadda.washington.edu

but I have MANY clients which will need to set up to use
kerberos, and kdc1 and kdc2 are on different subnets.

Should I put the kdc that is the closest (fewest hops, or local)
first in the list? or should I always put the master server first,
regardless of network proximity.

Am i nit-picking here? Does order matter in the kdc list?

Im curious how failover is done if my router to the first
kerb server in the list goes down.

thanks,

Matt