Cannot change password (error 31)

Jerome Walter walter+SP at M.efrei.fr
Mon Sep 1 03:09:44 EDT 2003

Tim Springston (MSFT) wrote:
> Hi Jerome-
>
> Were you trying to change the password for an account in the trusted MIT
> realm (from the Windows side) when you got that error?

Yes, The password changing process under any GNU/Linux machine works
perfectly, but not under W2k clients. To my surprise, i can change
password of the user when logged on the AD DC (via the same
Ctrl+Alt+suppr process).

Using Ethereal, i've seen no differences between communication to the
KDC between client resulting to failure and DC suceeding.

Do you have an idea from where this problem can come ? On a previous
installation of the trust (without AFS), there was no problem changing
the password.

I've loked for any key with "hardware authentication" activated and have
seen none...

Best regards,

Jerome Walter