Using cracklib with the KDC

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 13 17:57:05 EDT 2003

At 12:00 PM -0400 10/12/03, Sam Hartman wrote:
>  >>>>> "Henry" == Henry B Hotz <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>
>     Henry> Does the MIT code have a user hook in the change password
>     Henry> function where I can link in cracklib?
>
>No.  Nicolas Williams from Sun has proposed that the right way to do
>this is for the KDC to use libpam on systems that have it and to use
>the password stack to run modules like cracklib.  This seems like an
>interesting approach to try, but we have not yet implemented it.

I agree that doing the check in PAM on the client side is
interesting, but it fulfills a different goal.

In my case the goal is institutional enforcement of some QA on
passwords.  That means it has to be done at the server end, like
Heimdal does it.  I suppose that I have the option of looking through
the source code and implementing it myself.  I was just hoping it was
easier than that.  (Consider this a feature request.)
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu