KRB5 <-> KRB4 - kinit password incorrect

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 12 08:23:02 EDT 2003

    Frederik> The log file on the server after obtaining a ticket read
    Frederik> exactly the same line (not more, not less) than when
    Frederik> obtaining a ticket from the Cray.

Think about how Kerberos 4 works.  The v4 KDC has no way to know
whether you actually successfully decrypted the ticket.  This is what
you expect.

    Frederik> What am I doing wrong here?  I should be able to obtain

I'd think so, yes.  Normally I'd expect this problem to come from not
having v4 salted keys.  For example if your supported_enctypes lin read:
supported_enctypes = des-cbc-crc:normal

I might expect you to get the error you are seeing.  But that's not
what your line reads.

Try making it v4 only by replacing your supported_enctypes line with
   supported_enctypes = des-cbc-crc:v4
then change your password.  See if that helps.