Cannot contact any KDC for the requested realm

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 26 15:10:28 EST 2003

You do not have a REALM entry in your krb5.conf file for the realm
you are attempting to contact, so DNS is being used.  But the local
DNS server does not have the data and must propagate a query.  The
network has a long propagation delay and therefore the Kerberos
client times out before the response arrives.

The second time you attempt the tgt request, the local DNS server
has the response cached so the response arrives before the timeout
period.