Migrating from b6 to 1.3.1 (without the a master key phrase)

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Nov 12 21:23:26 EST 2003

>The kdb5_util code unfortunately does not allow you to change
>encryption key types when it changes the masetr key.  It is a fairly
>simple change to the source to do this as a one-time hack, but it is

Hm.  When I did that, my KDC failed to start.  The reason was (after I
finally tracked it down) was that there's an assumption deep within the
admin server that the kadmin/history enctype matches the master key
enctype.  I thought that this assumption still exists.  Ah, yes, it does.
In krb5 1.3.1, lib/kadm5/srv/server_kdb.c, lines 178-179:

    ret = krb5_dbe_find_enctype(handle->context, &hist_db,
				handle->params.enctype, -1, -1, &key_data);

"params.enctype" in this case is the master key enctype.  It wasn't
clear to me what the right answer was to this problem.

--Ken