Thanks: GSS Server without secret key?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Nov 7 10:07:26 EST 2003

Tim Alsop wrote:

> Oliver,
>
> The design seems to be asymmetric in that the need to store a secret long-term key at the client has been avoided (the client only needs to store its TGT), but a secret long-term key at the server is still necessary.  I am afraid our customer will complain about this ...

If you customers are using a Windows domain, and login to the workstation using the domain,
the workstation has a long term secret, setup by the AD administrator at some time.
Microsoft stores the machine password and derives a key from this rather then just storing
a key. AD uses Kerberos under the covers.