GSS Server without secret key?

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Fri Nov 7 05:06:31 EST 2003

>Subject: GSS Server without secret key?
>From: Oliver Schoett <os at sdm.de>
>Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:17:03 +0100
>To: kerberos at mit.edu
>
>I have been playing with the Sun GSS/Kerberos sample code in
>
>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jgss/tutorials/Clien
>tServer.html
>
>and noticed that the client in this scenario needs only a Kerberos
>ticket (for example, obtained from an initial Windows logon), whereas
>the server needs a secret key.  This creates a key management problem
>for our servers, which I would like to avoid.
>
>Why is it that the server needs a key, when in principle, a ticket
>should be enough to prove one's identity?  Is there a way to avoid the
>key management problem for servers?

It should be clear now (since many people have already responded to you by explaining this) that the server application needs a key to accept the security context from the GSS initiator. This key can either be stored in a keytable file, or if you are able to use user-to-user GSS you can make the application on the server logon with a username/password, and hence the logon will provide a key for accepting a context in the same way that the initiator application obtained a key using the initiating users logon credentials. However, the use of GSS user-to-user is not very common, especially in an unattended application scenario because the application needs to logon, and hence a person needs to enter the known password. If the application stores the password and uses this for the logon then you have a security problem - much worse than the 'key management problem' that you described. I therefore recommend you seriously look at using user-to-service and have key tables on each se!
 rver to maintain the secret for accepting the GSS context.

Thanks,
Tim Alsop
CyberSafe Limited
"The Kerberos Solution Provider"