Encryption Types and Windows

Jason C. Wells fake at highperformance.net
Sat May 24 16:21:49 EDT 2003

I see a bunch of conflicting information in various docs regarding
encryption types.  Some docs say only "this" and "that" are supported, but
then I see refence to "the other" and so I am left quite confused.  Also,
I am trying to get windows to authenticate my windows login to an MIT KDC.

(I have read the recent thread on this group on MIT and Windows 2000
interoperability.  I am still a bit stuck though.  My KDC shows a good
auth, but windows shows a failure.  More on this in a future post.)

So I have a few questions that relate only to Kerberos 5:

On Windows 2000, are the supported encryption types part of Windows
itself, or part of the MIT KfW-2.1.1 package?

Related to the above:  Is it true that only DES-CBC-MD5 and DES-CBC-CRC
are supported under Windows 2000 for authentication that occurs via the
MIT KfW-2.1.1 package?  I am certain that Windows login can only occur via
the methods in the MS "Step by Step Guide."  My confusion relates to
whether KfW uses only Windows encryption libraries or if KfW uses MIT
provided encryption libaries.

What is the authoritative and current source of information for the
encryption types for MIT Kerberos?  For MIT KfW?

Thanks in advance,
Jason C. Wells
Please reply to the group.  My email address is bogus.