spam in Kerberos list/group (was Re: Install on SuSE 8.2)

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri May 16 20:33:36 EDT 2003

AGA <agavazzi at web.de> writes:
> PS: I surprised about the many UCE and SEX posting in this group. Is there
> nothing to do to stop them?

The kerberos at mit mailing list and comp.procotols.kerberos newsgroup
have a gateway between them, run at NRL.  I believe Ken Hornstein has
been doing a reasonable job of preventing spam from coming from the
newsgroup to the mailing list, but in the reverse direction, we've got
somewhat limited filtering capability, and no direct control over the
Mailman server used.  (So, no, we can't install spamassassin or
anything else; we can only ask for them, and we have.)  If the spam
you're seeing shows up with the "Kerberos mailing list" footer, that's
how it came through.

Every once in a while I try adding new subject line patterns to filter
out, but some of the spammers use pretty random ones; at some point,
we're going to need better checking of the message body.  We'll keep
pushing for it.

It's also given us problems when list subscribers have mail servers
that reject spam, and have better filters for it than we have.  People
get dropped from the list every now and then for "excessive bounces".

I don't know if anyone is actively working on cancelling spam in the
newsgroup (any more than any other newsgroup).

Ken