kerberos setup question

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue May 13 16:08:43 EDT 2003

upef <paulf at icdc.com> writes:

> I want to run a KDC and client software on a single standalone linux box
> (no network connections). I just want to run the gss-client and
> gss-server programs. How can I do this? The krb5kdc daemon wont start
> unless I am connected to my ISP, and then it tries to listen on a socket
> on the ISP assigned IP address. If I disconnect, the kdc won't start.
> System: Red Hat Linux 9.0
>
> Thanks in advance.

You need to have a network address on a non-loopback interface.
You could configure some sort of dummy interface with an RFC1918
address; that should be good enough.  (Perhaps you can configure a ppp
or slip interface up without actually being connected?  I'm not sure
offhand what your options are.)

Ken