kprop issues

Derek Yarnell derek at cs.umd.edu
Tue May 6 14:13:59 EDT 2003

Background, I have a kerberos server running on the host on the normal
ports. I am adding a second kerberos server running on higher ports to the
host(s). I have both working but getting kpropd to run out of inetd has
been problematic.

When running kpropd out of inetd on a different port I get this, if I run
kpropd in standalone mode (-dS) with the same options the kprop command
works fine.

from inetd.conf
rrh     stream tcp nowait root /opt/krb5/sbin/kpropd -r CSIC.UMD.EDU -f /var/krb5kdc/from_master_csic -P 753 kpropd

(the rrh, is just the port that I want it to use, it is one less than the
normal kprop port)

This is on the master and the inetd entry from above is running on the
slave.

> /opt/krb5/sbin/kprop -r CSIC.UMD.EDU -f /var/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans_csic -P 753 xamot
/opt/krb5/sbin/kprop: Bad response (during sendauth exchange) while authenticating to server

If I run with -dS the kpropd (on the slave) will run correctly and update the database.
Am I missing something here?

--
---
Derek T. Yarnell