Apps aquiring tickets (was Re: gssapi/openssh)

Gintautas Grigelionis g.grigelionis at computer.org
Mon May 5 08:31:15 EDT 2003

Ken Raeburn wrote:

> jfh at cise.ufl.edu ("James F.Hranicky") writes:
>
> > Users of Kerberized apps have to "do something" when the TGT expires, why
> > not let them be prompted?
>
> I believe the Mac OS version of MIT Kerberos can do this -- but it's
> done by the Kerberos implementation, not by code in every application.
> I think it would be a reasonable idea to make such a facility
> available on other platforms, but it shouldn't require changes to
> application code.
>
> Ken

Sun has ktkt_warnd - Kerberos warning daemon; from man page:

ktkt_warnd is a daemon on Kerberos  clients  that  can  warn
users when their Kerberos tickets are about to expire. It is
invoked by inetd when  a  ticket-granting  ticket  (TGT)  is
obtained  for  the first time, such as after using the kinit
command.  ktkt_warnd   can   be   configured   through   the
/etc/krb5/warn.conf file on the client.