Kprop Eating Disk Space?

Monica Lau mllau2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 20:53:08 EST 2003

 Monica Lau <mllau2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a master kdc and a slave kdc.  In the master kdc, I run a script that executes kprop to propagate the database to the slave every 2 seconds (for testing purposes).  On the slave kdc, I run the "df" command periodically.  I noticed that the disk space percentage usage climbs up slowly.  Eventually, it goes up to 100%, and my slave machine crashes.  I don't understand how/why kprop could cause the disk space in the slave machine to go up because the master database is always the same size.  If I stop the propagation, the disk space in the slave doesn't go down, until I reboot the machine.

This is sample output from the "df" command:

/dev/mtdblock3           14976     13436      1540  90% /

This is sample output from the "mount" command:

/dev/mtdblock3 on / type jffs2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/ram1 on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
/dev/ram2 on /var type ramfs (rw)

Perhaps, this is a different problem that doesn't have anything to do with kprop, but I only see this happening when I run the kprop script.  Does anyone have any clues about this strange problem?  I'm not familiar with how the kprop process works.  If someone can give me a general overview of the process that occurs when the master database is propagated to the slave kdc, that would be tremenously helpful.  Thanks for your time and help.

Monica