running kerberos client apps on win2k

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Wed Mar 26 16:14:50 EST 2003

[snip]

>> Looking at the documentation around the
>> place it looks like:
>>
>> 1. Kerberos GSSAPI apps can be run with
>>    the microsoft supplied library. This
>>    doesn't cover common unix kerberos apps.
>>
>> 2. Standard kerberos can compile and
>>    run with cygwin (at least heimdal
>>    can and I presume the MIT kerberos also).
>>
>> However (2) will expect the tickets to be in
>> the standard unix place (under /tmp I seem
>> to remember).

Your apps may vary, but you probably need ms2mit.exe that comes with the
Kerberos for Windows (KfW?) package.  When you run this program it grabs
the Windows tickets and places them in an MIT cache so that apps that
are looking for a "standard" cache can find them.

Since your tickets expire and get renewed automagically by Windows you
will need to run a scheduled task, or periodically run ms2mit to refresh
your MIT ticket cache (unless someone knows a better way.  Please let me
in on the secret if you do :) ).

I have successfully used ms2mit and my Win2K tickets with Kermit95 to
login to a Kerberized telnet daemon running on a Linux box.