MIT Kerberos Interop with Win2k

Zafar Baig mzbaig5 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 11:17:26 EST 2003

hi,

Can anyone tell me if there's a whitepaper or something that shows how MIT
krb5 addresses interop with Win2k domain? Won't the win2k domain reject the
TGS-REQ sent to it from a Win2k client that had obtained tickets from a krb5
KDC? I know that this works in the latest version of kerberos but I would
like to see what was done in it to make it work. Here's a typical failure:

1.	AS-REQ		win2k client     ->   	KRB KDC
	AS-REP		KRB KDC	         <-   	win2k_client
2.	TGS-REQ		win2k client     ->   	KRB KDC
	TGS-REP		KRB KDC	         <-   	win2k client
3.	TGS-REQ		win2k client     ->   	win2k DC & KDC
        KRB-ERROR	win2k DC & KDC   <-	win2k client

This KRB-ERROR is expected if kerberos wasn't changed. The error would be
KRB5KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED since the tickets/PAC would look like they are not
compatible with Microsoft krb.

In which version of krb was this code inserted to overcome this issue? I
would like to see the differences as I have the tree with me.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
Zafar