JESUS IS LORD

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Sun Mar 16 01:34:12 EST 2003

> > What is up with all the spam on this list? Kerbdev, too...
>
> We update the header patterns for mailman to check, and the spammers
> keep using new subjects we're not catching.  I've added a few more,
> this weekend, on the Kerberos list; I'll update krbdev soon.
>
> Mailman's header-matching techniques are better than nothing, but
> they still leave a lot to be desired.  (And the Kerberos team
> doesn't control the mail server, so we can't drop in spamassassin or
> ifile or anything like that.)
>
> We'll keep trying....

Why not introduce bmf (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bmf/) into the
mail delivery process?  I've just started using it and it's night and
day.  Bogus messages should be moderated since it's an adaptive filter
and has to be told what's good and bad, but I trained my filter with
12K messages and ran it over some good mail for good measure and I
can't even begin to explain how happy I am with the lack of SPAM that
I'm getting.  I'm actually going around and de-obfuscating my email
addy now because my inbox is clear of the crap that I used to be
getting.  It takes a few days of training and explicitly setting
what's good and bad, but I'm a believer now.

I'm actually debating if I can train it to filter complaints from
other people who are bitching about SPAM, as SPAM now.  ::grin:: -sc

PS I'm committing the port of this to FreeBSD in a few days when the
freeze is lifted:

htt://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/bmf.shar

--
Sean Chittenden