default ticket lifetime

Jens Kleineheismann jk at em.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Mar 13 04:12:18 EST 2003

Hi there,

first to say, I use MIT Kerberos Version 1.2.6.

I want to increase the lifetime of my tickets from the default
10 hours to 20 hours.

So, I set the max_life directive in kdc.conf to 20h 0m 0s and
also I set the max_life of the krbtgt/REALM principal and the
other service principals to 20 hours.

Now, with a simple 'kinit' the tickets will expire after 10
hours.
If I do a 'kinit -l 20h', the result will be as expected, the
Tickets will expire after 20 hours.

But now I want to get rid of the '-l 20h'. And not only for
kinit, because I also use a PAM module, where I cannot specify
a ticket lifetime (without patching the source).

Any hint would be great.

Oh, and for my understanding how things work:
is the default lifetime hardwired in the KDC side or in the
client side?

Regards,
Jens