Password expiration

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at celabo.org
Fri Mar 7 12:26:13 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:31:34AM -0500, James F.Hranicky wrote:
> Is anyone actually using the password expiration features of Kerberos?

For what it's worth, the password expiration features worked
previously with login, sshd, pam_krb5 and Heimdal on FreeBSD and
Linux.

[snip]
> 	- buggy pam_krb5-1.0.3 module: I just recently sent in a patch
> 	  that fixed a simple pointer bug in the module causing
> 	  segfaults whenever the libraries returned any messages
> 	  (e.g., "Your password will expire...", "Your password has expired")

I'd be careful here.  The Linux-PAM and Solaris PAM implementations
interpret that pointer differently.  I know it was correct for
Linux-PAM, and I thought that Nico had checked it out for Solaris as
well.

> 	- buggy PAM programs:
>
> 	  o the PAM patch for XDM causes a segfault when the
> 	    (struct pam_message **) msg argument contains more than
> 	    one message due to incorrect pointer dereference (derefs
> 	    msg[count]->msg instead of msg[0][count].msg). I fixed
> 	    that, but I'm getting another segfault elsewhere

Yeah, that's the same issue.

Cross-platform PAM can be hard to get right, and many applications
have really poor PAM support.  I'm sorry to say that I mostly gave up
on the issue and simply integrated the PAM/Kerberos 5 support we
(FreeBSD) need into the base system.  (something had to give)

However, if you have time and energy, people will learn to love you
for fixing their PAM problems :)

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar at celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos