rights management

Michael Fair michael at daclubhouse.net
Tue Mar 4 18:18:57 EST 2003

[ lots of great remarks snipped ]

For the most part I think we are now shouting the same thing.

I'm just saying that since Athena, NDS, and MS ADS, and
your cron jobs/synchronizing tools have all come back to
relatively the same model and concepts (a model that seems
both reasonable and doable to me as some sort of standard),
I assumed that there already was some attempt at a standard
for it and I just didn't know what it was.  I further assumed
that the guys who are dealing with Kerberos would know where
I could go to get a project that implemented that standard.

So my rephrased question is, is there an OSS equivalent to
Novell NDS?

It sounds like the answer is "Not yet, but with effort you
could cobble one together with existing tools".
My problem is that I don't assume to be smart enough actually
build a system like that.  I could probably figure out how
to use an already established system, but not design and
implement one from scratch.  (Then there's modifying all
the tools that we use in the system to use that new system.)

-- Michael --