Event ID 7 in Windows 2000 Server Event-Log

Karl Pitrich karl.pitrich at fabasoft.com
Fri Jun 20 09:59:23 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:39, Holderfield, Jason wrote:
> I have received the error below on one of my domain controllers. Wondering
> if any resolution has been found. Microsoft has no information:
>
> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	KDC
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	7
> Date:		6/18/2003
> Time:		4:53:25 PM
> User:		N/A
> Computer:
> The Security Account Manager failed a KDC request in an unexpected way. The
> error is in the data field. The account name was ⭄竇䓹粥琞敗ِߕ崨ߕ
> lookup type 0x100.

i had this error too some weeks ago...

i _think_ this is a locked out domain user trying to log in and the KDC refuses initial credentials.

another possibility is that someone tries principal user at FOO where the Windows2000 domain
ist FOO.COMPANY.COM and the client kinit program cannot set bit 15 (IIRC) to canonicalize the
realm name.

/ karl