SSH as root with different principal

Lukas Kubin kubin at opf.slu.cz
Thu Jul 31 03:37:29 EDT 2003

I tried it but it didn't work. I have

1. created .k5login file in the root's home at remote server and put
myrealusernam at MYREALM there
2. used the command "ssh -v root at theremoteserver"

But the server still wants me to authenticate using public key or password
only. This is part of what it returned with the "-v" option:

==========
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: external-keyx
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
==========

Both server and client are Debian Linux with kerberized OpenSSH (from the
supplied package).
What should I try next to make it work?
Thank you.

lukas

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:00:28PM +0200, Lukas Kubin wrote:
>
> > How can I login through SSH to administer a remote server? I mean, I have
> > a principal, say "user" and need to authenticate using kerberized SSH to
> > become root on the remote server.
> > Thank you.
>
> If using gssapi or krb5 authentication, you would add that principal to
> root's .k5login file; acquire a TGT for that user; and run
> 'ssh root at server' or 'ssh -l root server'.  This will grant you
> Kerberos-based access to the root account.
>
> --
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

- --
Lukas Kubin

phone: +420596398285
email: kubin at opf.slu.cz

Information centre
The School of Business Administration in Karvina
Silesian University in Opava
Czech Republic
http://www.opf.slu.cz