Question

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 28 14:56:21 EDT 2003

Daniel.E.McGinley-Smith at Hitchcock.ORG (Daniel E. McGinley-Smith) writes:
> I am trying to find out whether there is a version of kerberos/sidecar
> for palm os.  My server at work requires sidecar to gain access to
> certain resources. I am using a Palm Tungsten C.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide
>
> Dan

Currently there is no Kerberos for PalmOS that I'm aware of.

I started looking into what it would take to build krb5 for PalmOS, a
little while ago, and found the gcc cross-compiler tools to be rather
inadequate.  There's a 64K resource size limit that applies to code
segments (both 68K and ARM) as well as other resources, and 32K
displacement limit for the 68K branch instructions generated, and
while it's possible to get around these by using multiple segments of
32K or less, the current GNU tools require manually annotating the
source to specify the sections that functions should go into; it won't
be done automatically by the compiler tools.  There are other issues
too, like non-default data sections and multi-section inline functions
causing havoc.

I dropped a note to one of the PalmOS GCC developers about this last
month, but got no response.

I have not looked into using Code Warrior for this.  If CW
automatically handles huge amounts of code in multiple sections, then
it may not be difficult.  If you want to buy me a copy of CW, I'll
play with it and see. :-) Or, I'd be glad to talk to someone else
trying to build it.  But this sort of work isn't in MIT's plans for
any time soon.

(And if it's krb4 you want, that's probably much easier, but also much
less interesting because of the security problems.)

If and when there's a Kerberos for PalmOS, then the Sidecar developers
could look at making apps for PalmOS, if they wanted.

Ken