Windows 2K-based domain, UNIX-based Kerb/LDAP passthru

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Thu Jul 24 14:54:43 EDT 2003

Matt, Scott,

You can also refer to a white paper which was written jointly by Microsoft and our company (CyberSafe) and explains some of the common deployment scenarios for UNIX and Active Directory.

This paper is available for download at :

http://www.cybersafe.ltd.uk/docs_cybersafe/Kerberos%20Interoperability%20-%20Microsoft%20W2k%20&%20ActiveTRUST.pdf

Thanks, Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: MattW [mailto:mbw at u.washington.edu]
Sent: 22 July 2003 19:46
To: kerberos at mit.edu
Subject: Re: Windows 2K-based domain, UNIX-based Kerb/LDAP passthru

Scott,

Sounds like we're both trying to do the same thing... Im at the University of Washington in Seattle in a small group - we have NT 4 now and are going to upgrade to windows 2000 w/active directory soon and want to use a Linux-MIT-Kerberos server as our master authentication.  So all passwords will reside on the linux/MIT/Kerberos5 Server and Windows login authentication will reference those credentials.

We havent implemented this yet, but we're in the process of learning about it....

The best windows-side pages I've found about this are the following link - I hope you'll find them useful...

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/krblogon.htm

http://ofb.net/~jheiss/krbldap/

http://www.washington.edu/computing/support/windows/2000/altsecid.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/kerbsteps.asp