Query on EncryptionType and keytype

KK kakes_m at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:37:38 EDT 2003

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if there is any distinction between
etype [ EncryptionType ]  and keytype as defined in
section 6.1 and 6.2 of the Kerberos RFC 1510 ?

I specifically want to know whether it will be right according
to the RFC, to service ticket requests from clients for encryption type
des-cbc-md5 for principals who only have a key of type
des-cbc-crc in the Kerberos database ?

If I do service this request then I will essentially mapping
the encryption type des-cbc-crc, des-cbc-md4, des-cbc-md5
all to a keytype des. If this is the case then shouldn't the RFC be
defining this mapping ?

Any inputs on this are really appreciated.

Thanks in Advance :-)
KK