AFS and Kerberos 5

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 22 17:53:23 EDT 2003

>>>>> "MattW" == MattW  <mbw at u.washington.edu> writes:

    MattW> Esteemed Kerberos Peers,

    MattW> I am trying to set up AFS and authenticate with my Kerberos
    MattW> 5 KDC (AFS on RedHat, KDC on debian linux)

    MattW> My question today is:

    MattW> Can I leave my Kerberos 5 KDC in pure Kerb 5 mode or do I
    MattW> have to run some kind of Kerb 5-to-4 daemon to issue kerb 4
    MattW> tickets to the AFS server - I'd like to be pure kerb 5 if
    MattW> possible.

You could in theory use a special aklog, but you are probably better
off running a krb524d.  Note that you can probably run a krb524d
without access to any keys.  This has not been tested, but should work
assuming you have Kerberos 1.2.8 and OpenAFS 1.2.9 or better.