unresolved external symbol __imp__GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE forkerberos 1.3 windows version

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 10:03:13 EDT 2003

Kent_Wu at trendmicro.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I tried to build a sample windows program by using kerberos 1.3 win version, in this program I use gss_import_name() and it takes (gss_OID) GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE as a parameter. However during the link time it always complains as subject title. I "dumpbin/exports" all the .lib (gssapi32.lib, krb5_32.lib, comerr32.lib and xpprof32.lib) however none of them contains this symbol. The odd thing is it's declared in the header file and it's definition is in gssapi_generic.c actually so supposedly it should be somewhere unless I built the libraries wrong. However I pretty much followed the build instruction in README under /src/windows.

>         Right now I can copy the definition from gss_generic.c to my file and make it work however I'm wondering I might miss something here. Any idea?

This is a problem with the way GSSAPI defines these, and how the constant OIDs get
implemented. On on implementation where all lib exports everything it is not a problem.
at least for the required OIDs. With a system like Windows where not everything is exported
you can have this problem.

Your approach of defining the OID in your code is the more generic approach. You would also
need to do this if you wanted to use multiple implementations some of which did not
understand the OIDs of the other.