GSSAPI x Kerberos

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Sat Jul 12 02:39:04 EDT 2003

Kent,

The SPNEGO protocol is used by Microsoft in IIS and IE to negotiate between NTLM and Kerberos and accept a context using both protocols. The reason why Microsoft used this is so that IIS can work with NT workstations where no Microsoft Kerberos library is present and/or older versions of IE where no Kerberos support is provided.

I hope this helps ?

Regarding your question about proxy support - if you are interested we have a product that provides Kerberos (not NTLM) authentication between browser (e.g. IE) and web servers (e.g. Apache) and is designed to support the use of proxy servers as well as web servers.

Take care, Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent_Wu at trendmicro.com [mailto:Kent_Wu at trendmicro.com]
Sent: 11 July 2003 23:21
To: silvio at gdora.com.br; hartmans at mit.edu
Cc: kerberos at mit.edu
Subject: RE: GSSAPI x Kerberos

Is that true when IIS issues "WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate" it actually means NTLM? Supposedly after win 2000 Kerberos replaced NTLM to became the default authentication mechanism in win but I'm not sure how they integrate kerberos into HTTP traffic. And if kerberos authentication is doable, how a 3rd party http proxy to support this in terms of proxy authorization (407 return code)?

Kent