GSSAPI x Kerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Jul 9 09:47:30 EDT 2003

silvio at gdora.com.br wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I'm starting to implement Kerberos support on a application, but I don't know
> if I should implement using the GSSAPI or the Kerberos API... What is the
> best/worse of them? Is there any "official" recomendation about that?

GSSAPI unless there are special requirements.

>  The other problem I'll have to solve is to implement the authentication over
> HTTP, any suggestions?

Look at the kx509 from the University of Michigan. It uses Kerberos authentication
to obtain a short term certificate. This certificate can then be used by IE or Netscape.
You then use the standard SSL in the browsers and web servers.
The client can run on any Unix, Mac or Windows.

See:  http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/kerb_pki/