krb5-1.3 is released

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 8 23:51:42 EDT 2003

The MIT Kerberos Team announces the availability of MIT Kerberos 5
Release 1.3.  Please see below for a list of some major changes since
krb5-1.2.8, or consult the README file in the source tree for a more
detailed list of significant changes.

RETRIEVING KERBEROS 5 RELEASE 1.3
=================================
You may retrieve the Kerberos 5 Release 1.3 source from the
following URL:

        http://web.mit.edu/network/kerberos-form.html

The homepage for the krb5-1.3 release is:

        http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.3/

Further information about Kerberos 5 may be found at the following
        http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/

MAJOR CHANGES SINCE RELEASE 1.2.8
=================================

* We now install the compile_et program, so other packages can use the
  installed com_err library with their own error tables.  (If you use
  our com_err code, that is; see below.)

* The header files we install now assume ANSI/ISO C ('89, not '99).
  We have stopped testing on SunOS 4, even with gcc.  Some of our code
  now has C89-based assumptions, like free(NULL) being well defined,
  that will probably frustrate any attempts to run this code under SunOS
  4 or other pre-C89 systems.

* Some new code, bug fixes, and cleanup for IPv6 support.  Most of the
  code should support IPv6 transparently now.  The RPC code (and
  therefore the admin system, which is based on it) does not yet
  support IPv6.  The support for Kerberos 4 may work with IPv6 in very
  limited ways, if the address checking is turned off.  The FTP client
  and server do not have support for the new protocol messages needed
  for IPv6 support (RFC 2429).

* We have upgraded to autoconf 2.52 (or later), and the syntax for
  specifying certain configuration options have changed.  For example,
  autoconf 2.52 configure scripts let you specify command-line options
  like "configure CC=/some/path/foo-cc", so we have removed some of
  our old options like --with-cc in favor of this approach.

* The client libraries can now use TCP to connect to the KDC.  This
  may be necessary when talking to Microsoft KDCs (domain controllers),
  if they issue you tickets with lots of PAC data.

* If you have versions of the com_err or ss installed locally, you can
  use the --with-system-et and --with-system-ss configure options to
  use them rather than using the versions supplied here.  Note that
  the interfaces are assumed to be similar to those we supply; in
  particular, some older, divergent versions of the com_err library
  may not work with the krb5 sources.  Many configure-time variables
  can be used to help the compiler and linker find the installed
  packages; see the build documentation for details.

* The AES cryptosystem has been implemented.  However, support in the
  Kerberos GSSAPI mechanism has not been written (or even fully
  specified), so it's not fully enabled.  See the documentation for
  details.

Tom Yu
MIT Information Systems
Kerberos Development Team