OT: syntax question- is it a Kerberized service or a kerberized service?

Andrew Hecox ahecox at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 29 17:43:09 EST 2003

I'm updating some documentation on our web pages and would generally like to standardize the usage with the "proper" syntax.

Most places usually just use:

Kerberized service (for a general service) and
Kerberized Service (for a specific service).

MIT's help pages seem to use the format of

kerberized service (for a general service) and
Kerberized Service (for a specfic service)

In normal English usage, a proper-name transformed into a adjective would usually have this form:

kerberized service (for a general service) and
kerberized Service (for a specific service)

One place where the distinction seems to be is whether or not the authoring parties are looking at Kerberos as a piece of
software or as a technology.  As a piece of software, the big K makes sense, in regards to Kerberos the technology, however, it
wouldn't appear to fit.  All of our documentation is refering to the technology, as in your can use K/kerberized applications or
you can use SSL-based options.  Opinions, thoughts, rambles?

Thanks!