Procedure(s) for removing Kerberos

those who know me have no need of my name not-a-real-address at usa.net
Thu Jan 23 13:11:23 EST 2003

in comp.protocols.kerberos i read:

>We have Kerberos(an old 4 version I believe) installed on many of our Unix
>systems.  It was installed by someone who has since gone.  Problem now is
>that we want to remove Kerberos but have no idea what that entails.

this seems a foolish notion, but whatever.

>I've tried doing some searching to no avail.  Are there documented
>procedures somewhere on how to perform an uninstall? If so, can someone
>point that out.  Otherwise, I'd be appreciative if someone could post
>something that we could use as a guide

there are no documents on removing it, though what needs to be done is
implied by the installation instructions.  it's hard to say what you should
do since you fail to mention the platforms involved or whether the kerberos
was a custom installation or using the vendor supplied tools.  well,
actually that does provide the next step for you: find out which sort you
have.

in general you need to enable some other password authentication mechanism
to each host, e.g., if you are returning to a local password database then
you have to create a password for every user on every host.