Origin of Kerberos

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sun Jan 12 11:56:19 EST 2003

"allem_mike" <allem_mike at free.fr> writes:
> I would like to know when Kerberos has been elaborated  and the number of
> the thirst version please.
>
> I didn't find anything  on the net so your help will be very helpfull for
> me.

is this asking where kerberos originated?

kerberos originated at mit project athena. projec athena was jointly
funded by DEC & IBM (i think $25m each). overall director had been in
545 tech. sq on multics. there was DEC sub director (that i don't
remember name) and IBM sub director ... who had also been at 545 tech.
sq in the science center (who also originated the compare&swap
instruction, the mnemonic are his initials).

my wife and I had done periodic audits of stuff at project athena. I
have some recollection of one all day session walking thru the initial
pass at the cross-domain authentication process.

kerberos reference page
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/www/kerberos.html

note that cmu lab was ibm funding ... spawning afs, andrew
toolkit/widgets, mach (in somewhat the same genre as cp/67 as a
microkernel ... which has been used in number of implementations),
camelot (which begat transarc)

and the mit page:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/index.html

"what is kerberos" is at the bottom of the (above) index page.

page at isi/usc:
http://www.isi.edu/gost/info/kerberos

we have some interest in certificateless digital signature
authentication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#aads

in pk-init:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/krb-wg-charter.html