kadmin/kadmind woes!

Silvera, Damian DSilvera at med.miami.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:02:52 EST 2003

Good afternoon all,

I have racked my brain for days on this one to no avail. After running
kerberos v5 on Solaris 2.6 for 3 years, I finally migrated the db to a Sun
Netra running Solaris 8 (core install w/64-bit support). When I try to run
kadmin -p username on the new server, I receive the following mesg:

kadmin: GSS-API (or Kerberos) error while initializing kadmin interface

Perusing the logfiles (/var/log/k5admin.log) yields the following:

kadmind: Miscellaneous failure
kadmind: Key version number for principal in key table is incorrect
kadmind: GSS-API error strings complete

I ran kadmin.local, delprinc'd the host entry for the new server. I, then
ank'd an entry for the new server and ktadd'd the server tab keyfile
(/etc/krb5.keytab) ... no luck. I am now at my wits end. Does kadmin refer
to any files other than /etc/krb5.conf and /etc/krb5.keytab? Is there a step
I am missing? We use kerberos for dialup authentication (KDC) and that works
perfectly; unfortunately, account management does not. While kadmin.local is
an option, my web gui is now broken.

Please help!