Leash32 / Error 193

Actually davidchr davespam at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 7 20:24:31 EST 2003

I just got back from vacation and saw this.  In case you're still
looking for answers:

[...]

> 1) Is there a technical reason why windows need to have Microsoft
> Network installed?

Technically, no.  However, I don't recommend removing it.

"Client for Microsoft Networks" is essentially a collection of services
that (as the name suggests) enables a Windows client to talk to certain
types of services (mostly SMB-related) that Windows machines often
provide.  For example, if you ever do network printing or talk to DFS or
SMB fileshares (such as Windows or samba), then you'd need this.  There
are other features there too, and a good number of windows applications
(Microsoft and otherwise) would probably ASSUME this functionality is
present-- removing it would cause those apps to break.

In a word, "beware."

> 2) Is there anyway to get a ticket without installing Microsoft
> Network?

2. yes.  From what I can tell, removing the Client should not affect the
operation of MS Kerberos (I obviously cannot speak for the MIT
implementation).  If you're seeing other behavior, could you provide
some information about how you're acquiring tickets?

Thanks!
-Dave

-----
This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
Message may originate from an unmonitored alias ("davespam").  If so,
use "davidchr" if a direct reply is required.
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer.
I reside in Washington, USA, where Title 19 declares that sending me
Unsolicited Commercial Email can result in a $500 fine.
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email (spam and UCE) is
expressly prohibited unless by my explicit prior request.  I retaliate
viciously against spammers and spam sites.