Operating Systems & Kerbros

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Wed Feb 5 13:20:20 EST 2003

Vanessa -
      Solaris 2.9 comes with Kerberos already installed, tested, and ready
to go.  It is based on MIT KRB5 1.2.X (we have kept up with bug fixes
etc etc).    We interoperate with MIT KRb5 and Microsoft AD just fine.
Plus, by sticking with the Kerberos software that comes with the OS,
you automatically get the same level of support for the Kerberos that
you have with the rest of your OS.    If you discover problems, you can
file bugs, and we do issue patches when the need arises.

     The Kerberized  "remote apps" (telnet, rlogin, ftp, rsh, rcp)  for Solaris
9 (also known as SEAM 1.0.2) need to be added separately and are
available as a free download from www.sun.com.    These are also
supported by Sun and have been tested extensively for interoperability.

     In previous Solaris releases (2.8, 2.7, etc), the Kerberos package
(SEAM 1.0.1) was completly unbundled and had to be added
separately.  In S9, this is no longer the case, the only unbundled
parts are the remote applications.  The core libraries, KDC and
other clients (klist, kinit) are bundled in Solaris 9 already.

-Wyllys Ingersoll
  Sun Microsystems.