Unrecongnized local address family

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 23 02:27:18 EST 2003

On Tuesday, Dec 23, 2003, at 00:30 US/Eastern, junaid bhimani wrote:
[...]

Your original message was lost (apparently the mailman HTML-to-text
filter ate it; for future reference, please send plain text only, not
HTML, to this list, if Hotmail gives you that option), but I had
glanced at it in the moderator queue (we have to do a lot of spam
filtering manually) and recall part of it.

The "unrecognized local address family" message logged by the KDC at
startup time happens when it's scanning the addresses on the local
network interfaces and starting to listen for UDP packets on each local
address of a type it recognizes.  It'll handle IPv4 and usually IPv6,
but on some systems, the address scanning technique will pick up other
address forms, like the 6-octet link-layer MAC address of an Ethernet
interface.  The address type or "family" for this sort of thing varies
from system to system, and while the KDC code knows about one or two,
there are others it doesn't know about.  Generally it's harmless.

If you want to look further, look at the number logged for the address
family, and look it up in the system header files, usually
/usr/include/sys/socket.h or some file that it includes.  There should
be a macro starting with AF_ which has that value.  Usually the comment
will say something like "link address".  (I don't recall the number or
any mention of OS type from your email, sorry.)

If it's some other, "interesting" kind of network protocol you're
running, that you think we should be handling, let us know the details.

Ken