documentation for ssh/gssapi auth anywhere?

paul paul.koelle at archit.uni-weimar.de
Mon Dec 8 12:34:18 EST 2003

Hi list,

posted this earlier to c.s.ssh but got no response at all, so I hope I
will have more luck here. Please tell me if this is OT and if so where
to ask. Thanks

I'm searching for documentation in order to authenticate ssh users
against my kerberos database. The configuration directives in
sshd_config and various postings on the net indicate, that this is
possible via GSSAPI, but neither the manpage of sshd nor that of
sshd_config seems to cover the subject. I searched openssh.org, the net
and google groups for info but couldn't come up with something useful.

I think I have a basic understanding how kerberos works and how to setup
services to use it, (I actually set up successfully openldap with
SASL-GSSAPI so the kerberos stuff should be working). As I couldn't find
any documentation, I did the setup as follows:

1. compiled openssh-3.7.1_p2 with kerberos support. (ldd told me ;)
2. created a service principal ssh/host.tld at REALM (tried with
sshd/host.tld at REALM but no luck either)
3. exported that principal to a keytab, readable by sshd
4. set KRB5_KTNAME to point to the keytab.
5. started sshd -ddd
ssh'ing from the client to the server gives:

debug3: preferred gssapi, publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup gssapi
debug3: Next authentication method: gssapi
debug2: we sent a gssapi packet, wait for reply
debug2: we did not sent a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
then it goes further to normal password based auth.

On the server, I got the error:

debug1: Miscellaneous failure
No principal in keytab matches desired name

I'm stuck here, what is the "desired name"?
FYI, I did not get a service ticket and sshd does not raise an error
when the TGT is expired. Does anyone know where all this is documented?

thanks
  Paul