Kerberos: The Definitive Guide now available

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 21 14:54:50 EDT 2003

    Wyllys> Dick Joltes wrote:
    >> I e-mailed the author before the book was published to ask
    >> about its coverage of programming & development topics.  The
    >> book is solely devoted to management and configuration issues;
    >> programming and development are not discussed at all.  I'm half
    >> tempted to start work myself on a book covering the API, but
    >> have no idea if anyone is doing so already or if one is even
    >> needed.

    Wyllys> Im not sure how much of the Kerberos API is considered
    Wyllys> "stable" (i.e.  not subject to change from revision to
    Wyllys> revision).  Writing a book about the API as it stands
    Wyllys> today in 1.3 might be out-of-date in a year or whenever
    Wyllys> 1.4 comes out.

We have committed to supporting the API you get by including krb5.h
with neither KRB5_PRIVATE nor KRB5_DEPRICATED defined in 1.3.

there are certainly parts of this API we are not overly thrilled with.
As an example there are too many cases where callers allocate
structures on the stack, making it hard for those structures to grow.

However the functionality exposed by that API seems like functionality
we are willing to continue to support so if we need to change parts of
the API we can rename functions and create shims for the old API.