problem trying to configure krb5-1.2.8 with compiler option for 64bit support

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 11 17:23:48 EDT 2003

"Swift, Louise" <louise.swift at hants.gov.uk> writes:
> Hi, I'm having problems with configure when installing krb5-1.2.8
> ./configure --with-cc=gcc --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared      gives no problem, but if I use
> ./configure --with-cc=gcc --with-ccopts=-m64 --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared  i get errors.
> The output from the 2 commands is listed below. I would really appreciate any help you can give.

You didn't mention what platform you're working on; that might help us
help you.

The 64-bit support is better in 1.3 than in 1.2.8.  There has been at
least one problem found in the krb524 support on big-endian 64-bit
systems, but as far as we know the basic krb5 support should be
working fairly well, and you're disabling the krb4 support anyways.

If you're using Solaris, we haven't been testing 64-bit builds with
gcc at MIT.  Offhand, I don't remember if the version of gcc we're
running here has 64-bit Solaris support at all, or if it's broken, or
what....  Our automated tests have been using CC="cc -xarch=v9
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__EXTENSIONS__" as the compiler command.  If
you've got the Sun compiler available, it may be a better option.

> the highlighted yes' are no in the example that fails below (and the
> only difference is the --with-ccopts=-m64)

(Highlighted?  Not in my mailbox, it wasn't.)

> checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... no
> checking for gethostbyname in -lsocket... no
> checking for gethostbyname in -lsocket... (cached) no
> checking for gethostbyname in -lresolv... no
> checking for socket... no
> checking for socket in -lsocket... no
> checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no
> checking if DNS Kerberos lookup support should be compiled in... yes
> checking for res_search... no
> checking for res_search in -lresolv... no
> configure: error: Cannot find resolver support routine res_search in -lresolv.

The output from trying to compile and link various little test
programs is reported in config.log in whatever directory configure was
running in.  If you look towards the end of that file, it should tell
you what test program it was trying to compile, what the compile
command was, and the reported error.

If that information doesn't make the problem clear, please include
those details here (or send mail to krbdev at mit.edu) and we should be
able to figure it out.

Ken